Go-karting is an exciting past time. Not only that, it can be great fun for all ages. As with any sport, however, getting the gear you need can get expensive.
A quality helmet is one of the most critical pieces of equipment a driver can have. There are multitudes of safety equipment for racers, but nothing is as important as protecting your head. That said, a helmet can break the bank if you aren’t sure what to look for.
Some helmets can exceed $500. It is not to say that one does not get what one pays for. That also does not mean spending a lot of money is the only way to get a good helmet.
Before looking for a good helmet, you first need to know what you are looking for. Who is this helmet for? What does this racer need?
A helmet for a young racer in Junior Dragster probably does not need a whole lot of extra features. A good helmet for not too much money like this should not be too hard to find. It also can’t hurt to find something your racer is going to love to look at.
A helmet for a career racer with all the right hardware might be a little harder to land.
Best Go-Kart Helmets Under $100
Fortunately, we understand that not everyone has the time for extensive research and window shopping. We have put together the five best go-kart helmets under $100 right here.
Go-karting is fun and thrilling, but it can get expensive, just like any other sport. It can be a good idea to count your nickles and dimes once in a while.
ILM 313 Full Face Motorcycle Street Bike Helmet
- 2 Visors Included: Clear + Smoked and 1 Neck Scarf for Winter Use
- Streamlined Aerodynamic Design Reduces Wind Noise and Drag
- Advanced and Lightweight Durable ABS Shell
This helmet is lightweight and designed to reduce drag wind noise. It comes with a quick-release strap, and the helmet liner and cheek pads are removable and washable. It also comes in a range of colors and sizes.
This helmet has been rated Amazon’s choice, at 4.5 stars with customer 1037 ratings. Keeping an average of over four stars with over one thousand customer ratings has got to mean something, right? At least we think so.
The ILM 313 is affordable and at the top of our list because people had the most to say about it. Luckily, the vast majority of customers had rave reviews!
This helmet also comes in a matte black finish. If you want to paint or customize your helmet at home, this is an excellent option for you.
- This helmet weighs less than 3lbs. When it advertises lightweight, it is not kidding.
- The ILM 313 meets FMVSS-218 and DOT standards
- This helmet comes with wide view anti-fog visors
- The helmet is also roomy. There is enough room to use a mic while racing.
- The vents on the helmet are easy to open and close.
- According to some past customers, this helmet and its visors scratch easily.
- It does not come with a whole lot of interior padding. One reviewer said they enjoyed the helmet but wished it was a little more comfortable on the inside.
But what else did people have to say? Do not worry; we are still reading the reviews for you.
Vega – Ultra DOT Karting Helmet
- New for 2019, the Ultra Street helmet by Vega Helmets is a value packed motorcycle helmet with a fresh, aggressive design built for speed.
- KEEP COOL – The Ultra Street Include 3 closable intake vents with an angled passive anterior exhaust vent to allow maximum air flow out without allowing wet weather in.
- BE COMFORTABLE – Includes a Washable, replaceable Comfort Tech Wick-Dri Liner System within the motorbike helmet to keep you dry and comfortable
This helmet comes with a new Sure Seal locking shield that keeps air and water out. The Vega is DOT approved and meets both standards FMVSS-218 and ECE R22.05.
The lining is removable and replaceable for easy cleaning. The Vega also has several shield options that reduce glare reduction. This helmet is very reasonably priced.
This helmet also comes in matte black, for racers who want to use their paint.
- This helmet sports an aerodynamic multi-channel ventilation system. The vents are adjustable, so you can be comfortable no matter what temperature you’re driving in.
- The windshield is scratch-resistant, multi-position, and quick-release pivot.
- This helmet comes with a thick, high density, fully vented EPS liner to absorb substantial impacts.
- Multiple customers have complained that their helmets fog up when they have come to a complete stop.
What if you need a helmet for a career karter-to-be? That is up next.
WOW Motorcycle Full Face Helmet Street Bike BMX MX Youth
- DOT Approved; L (53-54 CM,20.7/21.1 Inch);
- Light Weight Durable Aerodynamic Thermoplastic Alloy Shell
- Top and front ventilation control, 3 position ventilation channels;
Not all helmets are created equal, and neither are all racers. Some racers are not old enough to vote and need something to fit their growing heads. That is where this helmet comes in.
This WOW Youth helmet is DOT approved for a lot of entry-level youth karting events.
It also comes in a broad range of colors that your karter will love. At the very least, he is going to enjoy running around pretending to be a Power Ranger. These colors are ultra-bright and ultra-glossy.
Your racer is probably going to get a little grungy while he’s out tearing around. Luckily, this helmet also comes with removable and washable padding. It is reasonably priced and has 4.7 stars on Amazon after 109 customer ratings.
- This helmet features top and front ventilation control.
- This helmet sports an aesthetically pleasing glossy finish that your kid will love. It comes with a shark design. What kid is not going to enjoy a shark?
- This helmet also has an easy to use chin strap that your karter can manage on his own. There will not be any fussing with a clasp.
- A couple of customers said that the hardware keeping the visor on the helmet made cheaply. The visor may or may not want to stay where it is supposed to. It may also come or break off while the helmet is in use.
- This helmet only comes in the sizes Small, Medium, and Large. There is not a broad range for any racers with exceptionally small or large noggins.
YEMA Helmet Unisex-Adult Motorcycle Full Face DOT Helmet YM-829
- Full Face helmet. Outstanding Aerodynamic ABS Shell and Multi-density EPS.
- Dual Visor Design : Inner Retractable Smoked Visor + Outer Clear Shield.
- Quick Release Buckle and Removeable Inner Lining Pads.
The YM-829 is sleek and straightforward. It does not come in a whole lot of colors or designs, but it is got a spiffy minimalist look to it. It comes with everything you need out of a decent helmet.
This helmet is aerodynamic and comes with adjustable venting for healthy air circulation. It also has a dual visor design. That means it comes with an inner retractable smoked visor as well as a clear outer shield.
The YM-829 was given 4.6 stars with 97 customer ratings and is very affordable.
- This helmet is DOT approved. At this point, that is kind of a necessity.
- It comes in an XX-Large. Sometimes those larger sizes are hard to find, which is excellent if you are after a larger one.
- The inner lining pads are removable and washable.
- This helmet comes with a reinforced chin strap.
- The interior is plush with laser-cut foam.
- The ventilation on this helmet seems to be a little wanting, according to a couple of customers.
- This helmet also appears to have some fogging problems during cold weather. It is probably because of the ventilation issues.
- If you are looking for something bright and eye-catching, this probably is not for you. It has a sleek shape, but it comes in black and white. It is the matte black option. However, it may be just the thing for racers wanting something to personalize themselves.
Hard Head Helmets Full Face Helmet
- Certified to meet the DOT standard (FMVSS 218)
- SIZE CHART: SMALL: 21 ½ to 22 - MEDIUM: 22 to 22 ½ - LARGE: 22 ½ to 23 - XL: 23 to 23 ½
- Removable cheek pads for easy cleaning
It is the least expensive helmet on our list, so if you are on a budget, you might be liking this one. The HH-901 comes with an average of 4.6 stars after 60 customer ratings.
Unsurprisingly, this is a very basic helmet. It has a quick-release shield and removable cheek pads for easy cleaning. It is also, of course, DOT approved to meet the FMVSS-218 standard.
This helmet comes in matte white, matte black, and glossy black. Customizing options are endless, especially if you are someone who loves decals and stickers.
- This helmet is DOT approved.
- For the price, many customer reviews say it is a steal.
- It is ultra-lightweight – this helmet weighs 2lbs.
- This helmet seems to run a size small. If you are purchasing online, make sure to get a size larger than you think you need.
- One customer said that the interior foam is low-quality. Another review, however, said that the foam is lasting and not flattening over time.
- It comes with a D-ring chin strap, in case a quick-release belt is a deal-breaker for you.
So, what have we learned? That you do get what you pay for. The most expensive helmet on this list has the most reviews and some of the minor cons.
We have also learned that you do not have to spend $500 on that Bell go-karting helmet. You can make something work for far less than that.
Go-karting is also fun for your children. Do not let a price tag scare you away from allowing a potential racer to tear around the track! A great helmet for your child will keep them safe and sound, and it does not have to cost a ton.